How to enable ext3 extended attributes for removable disks (for Beagle)?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Aug 26 07:04:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:30:11AM +0300, ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 01:30 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed Beagle in Breezy. In want it to index my external USB
>> hard disk, which is formatted with ext3. The Beagle wiki recommends to
>> enable extended attributes for indexing. While this is easy for my
>> interal HD by just adding user_xattr to /etc/fstab, I can't figure out
>> how to make gnome-volume-manager use this option.
>>
>> When I plug the HD in, it gets mounted as
>>
>> /dev/sdb1 on /media/HD300 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>>
>> Removable disks are not listed as fixed disks in /etc/fstab, at least I
>> have only this in fstab (but the actual mounted device is sdb1, see
>> above)
>>
>> /dev/sda1  /media/usb0  auto  rw,user,noauto  0  0
>> /dev/sdb   /media/usb1  auto  rw,user,noauto  0  0
>>
>> And neither a pmount config file, nor the gui or gconf for
>> gnome-volume-manager let me set to use user_xattr.
>>
>> Thanks for advice,
>> Mario
>
>For "ext2" and "ext3", unmount the specified file-system first, then do:
>        sudo tune2fs -o user_xattr /dev/????
>(Change "/dev/????" to the partition you want to change, of course.)
>
>The above command will set the *default* mount option to include
>"user_xattr" unless overridden by the actual "mount" command (or the
>options in "/etc/fstab").  See the manual page for "tune2fs" for more
>explanations and options.

To check if you already have attributes, or if the command above has
taken effect, you can use dumpe2fs on the device.

Is it necessary to have the filesystem feature 'ext_attr' in order to
have user_attr?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Note to amateur cryptographers: simple analysis is a *good* thing, if
it doesn't weaken the cipher. ... It's better to be able to prove that
an attack won't work than to have to guess that it won't because it's
too much work.
      -- Colin Plumb