How to enable ext3 extended attributes for removable disks (for Beagle)?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Aug 26 23:30:51 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have installed Beagle in Breezy. In want it to index my external USB
hard disk, which is formatted with ext3. The Beagle wiki recommends to
enable extended attributes for indexing. While this is easy for my
interal HD by just adding user_xattr to /etc/fstab, I can't figure out
how to make gnome-volume-manager use this option.

When I plug the HD in, it gets mounted as

/dev/sdb1 on /media/HD300 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Removable disks are not listed as fixed disks in /etc/fstab, at least I
have only this in fstab (but the actual mounted device is sdb1, see
above)

/dev/sda1        /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sdb        /media/usb1     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

And neither a pmount config file, nor the gui or gconf for
gnome-volume-manager let me set to use user_xattr.

Thanks for advice,
Mario