Networking : how to bridge two NICs to share internet access ?

Alvin Thompson alvin-ubuntu at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Aug 25 14:14:30 UTC 2005

the router also uses iptables, so pretty much anything you can do on a
linux box with iptables, you can do with the router. the (modified)
router has an ssh server, so you should be able to ssh to it and run
your favorite iptables script virtually unmodified. and web filtering of
some type is provided by virtually every router these days. i don't use
these advanced features, though, so i am relying on what others have said.

since this is vincent's first network, and it sounds like a small home
network, this is definitely the way to go because it has a (relatively)
easy web interface and works out of the box. it also provides wireless
capabilities which he will almost certainly need eventually. all in one
integrated package. but seriously, do you really think he'll need stuff
like a transparent proxy for a home network? i've never used it and i'm
a career software engineer.

-alvin