Networking : how to bridge two NICs to share internet access ?

Luis Murillo lmurillo at gmx.net
Thu Aug 25 13:47:34 UTC 2005

Well, actually that depends on the user, since I would prefer to use a
Linux box instead of a router, like the Linksys. I feel that it has a
lot more features. I've read about some of the projects that work on the
WRT54G, but I can't say that I know to what level or what programs can
be installed. At least I know that with a Linux box I can install
Web-Filtering, a transparent proxy, and other security measures that
would make my network safe, although I know that there is no absolute
way to make the network 100% safe. At least at my home and for certain
jobs I prefer a Linux box.
So it's actually better to test the options and see what works best for
the network administrator or home user :)
At least that's my point of view and I think that it's up to the user to
decide either to use a dedicated router or a full PC to do the routing
job. Either way can be secure or insecure, that is left to the person
that configures the router.

I'm not trying to start a flame-war, I just believe that it should be up
to the user to decide. The user should look up the pros and cons of
using either way.

--
Luis Murillo M.
lmurillo at gmx.net
Heredia, Costa Rica

GPG KeyID: D66B35FD
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D66B35FD