Networking : how to bridge two NICs to share internet access ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Aug 25 19:44:27 UTC 2005

Guys, thanks you very much for all the info, but I think I have gathered
enough information to make my own decision now.
You all seem very knowledgeable and you got too carried away in the
complexity department !

The only feature I (will) really NEED is to connect to my main desktop
machine to back-up files at night on a head/keyboard/mouse less tiny
slim case desktop linux box (hence will need SSH or something like that
too I guess, to administer it) and possibly connect my laser printer to
the network as well so I can free the parport of my main desktop
machine, as I am going to need this port for something else. If I can do
more than that, it will be fun, but not mandatory.
Also, again, I wireless does not make any sense for me, and is unlikely
to ever make sense. You probably all are very wealthy senior IT
professionals with a multi-floor house, 3 kids a wife 2 dogs and 200m2
of back garden, but myself I am just a normal single person in a tiny
40m2 flat, and a 5meter network cable is probably enough to access any
point of my flat/'living'/only room.
Also, I don't have a penny to waste. I have found 4 port switches on
ebay for 15 Euros, and on a website (www.ldlc.fr) a nice brand new 3Com
switch with a life time warranty, which I like, for only 30 Euros. I am
therefore not going to exceed this budget no matter what.

Again, thank you all for the info. I will certainly post again for
specific advice on setting it all up ONCE I have actually acquired all
the parts, but this will not happen until a few months (skint).

Regards,

--
Vince