Cannot Install Wine! What gives?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 25 12:27:48 UTC 2005

sweet jelly wrote:

> I so far haven't had a really good experience with Ubuntu.  I just
> formatted my hard drive the other day, and switched from Windows 2000,
> which I no
> longer have access to.  I have tried for several hours to find out how to
> install Wine.  The farthest I can get is a message that says I may have a
> network problem, an older version, or that the repository link may no
> longer
> exist.  Is Hamilton College blocking the site?  None of the defult
> repository software sources work.
>
> I'm not great with computers, but there was nothing in windows that I
> wanted
> to do that I wasn't able to figure out.  Now, Ubuntu is my only operating
> system.  I cannot find any sites that have Precise, STEP-by-step (like for
> baby, or something) Ubuntu help.  It seems at this point my capacity to
> install a basic program (Wine) is a long way off.  Please help.

Wine is very far from "basic" software.  I would strongly suggest that if
you're having this much trouble you should either buy Crossover (a
commercial version of Wine that makes some of the things I can't do with
Wine easy) or Xandros (another Debian-based linux distributiont that comes
with Crossover).  At least download the free Crossover trial, and see how
simple Wine _can_ be.
--
derek