Cannot Install Wine! What gives?

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Thu Aug 25 10:33:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 03:08, sweet jelly wrote:
> I'm not great with computers, but there was nothing in windows that I
> wanted to do that I wasn't able to figure out.  Now, Ubuntu is my only
> operating system.  I cannot find any sites that have Precise, STEP-by-step
> (like for a baby, or something) Ubuntu help.  It seems at this point my
> capacity to install a basic program (Wine) is a long way off.  Please help.

Like anything new, there will be a learning curve.  You'll need to be patient
with yourself, and allow that some things you need to do depend on
understanding other things first.

That said, installing software on Ubuntu is much simpler than on Windows, once
you get used to it.  Run synaptic, choose the software to install, click a
button, and wait.  Much easier than looking up websites for windows software,
finding the latest version, downloading it, and maybe first installing any
other software that's required, too.

If you somehow have incorrect apt repository entries, you can easily find good
examples of repositories, that you can use.  Synaptic also lets you edit
these easily.  If your own college's network has issues with it... well,
that's an issue for you and your college, but you might try asking if there's
a proxy that you need to use.

Stick with it; it's worth any initial efforts.  Good luck :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com