Cascading dependencies are becoming a problem...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 23 14:59:51 UTC 2005

Is this ubuntu or Debian?

Today upgrading hal in breezy will install "python-launchpad-integration".
Unfortunately, this is highly gnome-centrice and will install 24MB of stuff
I really don't want - bonobo, gconf, VFS.

I'm not even certain I care about Hal, but I _really_ don't want to see all
that other garbage.  Surely a "hardware abstraction layer" shouldn't have
_any_ dependencies on desktop tools.

This follows on a kernel update a couple of weeks back (anything since
2.6.12-6.8) which insists on initramfs-tools (probably OK), and a whole
bunch of other dependencies including mdadm.  I don't _have_ raid drives
and I really don't want to have to compile my own kernel simply to avoid
needing mdadm.

Who's to blame for this urge to bloat?
--
derek