Struggeling

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Tue Aug 23 07:55:58 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 08:25, Slabber A <14565471 at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi I don't know if I am aloud to ask so many questions in one msg,(im still
> rather new) but ya here it goes.

It's better to post each problem separately, with an appropriate message
subject line, that allows people who know that subject to see it without
deliberately reading every message on the list.  Posting separately will
(hopefully) also encourage you to take each individual request for help more
seriously.  For instance:

> 1. I still cant watch AVI movies, tried to install codec's as explained in
> Ubuntu Userguied but I keep getting a msg that says "E:couldnt find
> package". Same happens when I tried to install VLC.

You haven't told us (or at least, me) enough to help you here.  An error
message isn't generally useful unless you give us the details of what you
were trying to do when the error occurred.  You *sort-of* did that, but what
program did you run, for instance?  Also, if the error message is more than
one line, quote enough other lines to give some context.

> 2. Cant listen to MP3 I think it is also a codec's problem.

Much more detail needed here.  What program?  What's the error, or what goes
wrong?  Have you connected your speakers?  Do other things play OK?  What
user are you logged in as?  Are other programs running?

> 3. Struggling to set up Internet connection I have a dial up modem, just
> don't know how to set it up or make it dial a #.

This is probably in the Ubuntu guide, but I haven't done it for years.

> 4.I have a Samsung YH 820 MP3 player if I connect it to USB the MP3 player
> boots and then says transferring but nothing happens in Ubuntu. If I then
> plug it out the MP3 player says please safely remove hardware from
> windows.(works perfectly in Windows).

It'll need to be USB-Storage compliant.  Don't know if the samsung ones are.
In some ways, it sounds like it is, from your description.  The
"transferring" thing doesn't sound good; sounds like it's making too many
assumptions about what the computer wants to do when it connects.

> 5.Got it right to mount Windows hard drive in Ubuntu but as soon as I
> reboot it disappears again and I have to mount it again but the fstab file
> still has the command in it tho.

Again, we need more details here.  What kind of drive is it?  What have you
got in /etc/fstab?  What did you do to make it work manually?

> Thanks I really like Ubuntu (Windows sucks its boring) but I guess im just
> really struggling with the basics.Thanks for your help. Ash

We all started there :)

Don't forget to post as separate questions, with good subjects :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com