Struggeling

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Aug 23 07:53:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:25:11AM +0200, Slabber A <14565471 at sun.ac.za> wrote:
>3. Struggling to set up Internet connection I have a dial up modem,
>just don't know how to set it up or make it dial a #.

What kind of modem is it?

>4.I have a Samsung YH 820 MP3 player if I connect it to USB the MP3
>player boots and then says transferring but nothing happens in Ubuntu.
>If I then plug it out the MP3 player says please safely remove hardware
>from windows.(works perfectly in Windows).

I'm assuming that it is a USB storage device.

You are saying that no icon shows up on the desktop, right?
I don't think your Ubuntu system will start doing anything without you
initiating it. You'll need to browse the drive (double click the icon if
it comes up, otherwise start Nautilus, e.g. Places->Computer, and point
it to the drive).

Things you can check if that fails:

- Make sure the module usb_storage is loaded.
- Make only one of uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd is loaded (I prefer the
  former).
- Check /var/log/kern.log to see if anything is logged when you plug the
  device in.
- Take a look in /media, that's where the drive should end up.

>5.Got it right to mount Windows hard drive in Ubuntu but as soon as I
>reboot it disappears again and I have to mount it again but the fstab
>file still has the command in it tho.

Would you post your /etc/fstab entry for the Windows hard drive?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use
it--and get a new one every six months.
     -- Cliff Stoll