All burning

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Sun Aug 21 04:34:10 UTC 2005

Hello,
I've been experimenting burning with diverse graphic interfaces
and the command line too.
My hardware is a AMD Athlon 2800xp + the devices are IDE, a DVD reader
on /dev/hdc and a RwCD on /dev/hdd.
The muchine is one and a half year old, connectors changed in February,
and Cd burning device brand new, I changed it a few weeks ago.
I'm under Hoary, and installed the k7 kernel a pair of days ago,
but ran under a i386 till now.

So are the results with i386 and it seems identical with the k7:
First, when a bureautic application (OOo) generated a hidden backup file
that becomes orphan in its repertory, burning became impossible with
a 'wrong encoding caracter chain' message.
A whole week to find out a few weeks ago.

Second, burning datas goes fine with Nautilus, with GnomeBaker, but
not with Graveman.
Third, a copy from disk to disk of an audio CD goes fine with Graveman,
but not with else.
Fourth, Graveman doesn't do anything else for me than disk to disk copy.
Fifth, to make a bootable CD or a copy of an install CD, nothing else
than the command line functions, making an iso image with 'dd' first
and burn it with

cdrecord -v -dao dev=/dev/hdc stuff.iso

as the command 'cdrecord -scanbus' gives:
> joyce at papillon:~$ cdrecord -scanbus dev=/dev/hdd
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an unofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.
>
> cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-5-k7
> cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
> scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
> devname: '/dev/hdd'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
> cdrecord: Warning: using unofficial version of libscg (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
> scsibus1:
>         1,0,0   100) *
>         1,1,0   101) 'ATAPI   ' 'CDRW 52X32      ' 'Y.OS' Removable CD-ROM
>         1,2,0   102) *
>         1,3,0   103) *
>         1,4,0   104) *
>         1,5,0   105) *
>         1,6,0   106) *
>         1,7,0   107) *
> joyce at papillon:~$
I just tried again with k3b, it seems ready to erase a CD allright
(simulation) and Gnomebaker erases CD's, generally, too. But no copies
of CD's (I wanted to clone a Ubuntu distribution, with the clone option
in k3b)

So, it appeared to me after questioning on forums and chan, that often
the experimented users don't have problems for burning: they use it once
or twice a year(!)

I like command line allright, as it makes a good job. Under Hoary, I
find burning datas more easy and efficient at once, compared to two
other distributions I used before: Debian testing that I had to learn to
configure, and Mandrake 10 to 10.1 with k3b and datas burned after
sometimes 3 hours trying. However, I would like to point out that a
complete graphic interface that really functions on all features, and
supported by the official team, would be particularly welcome in the
Ubuntu friendly distribution, with which many people want to find the
Linux distribution that fits all the people who need something that
functions at once.
J.Markoll