NVidia binary driver for card unsupported in current driver

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 05:11:42 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there might be someone more familiar with NVidia's
binary drivers than I am that could help me compile one that works. As
a preface, this is on my Breezy testing box so it may just be that it
isn't going to work at all right now.

My card is an "NVIDIA Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64
Pro]" who's support was dropped starting with the 7xxx driver series.
Since I doubt that support for older cards is (or can be) backported
into the package available via Synaptic, I'm trying to compile the
module from the installer available on Nvidia's website:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run

So I exit X and run the installer with sudo. The first time around I
was warned that the current gcc compiler (4.0) is different than the
one used to build my kernel (3.4). I didn't know where to set the
default so I just changed the symlink /usr/bin/gcc to point to 3.4
instead of 4.0. That got me one step further. Then I got the message
that support for rivafb was compiled into my kernel as a module and
that I'd have to disable that for the nvidia driver to work. No
problem - I selected OK and it proceeded to try and build the nvidia
driver. This failed, and since I don't do a lot of compiling  (I left
Slackware for Ubuntu for a reason :), I'm not sure how to diagnose (or
even understand) the problem. I'm attaching the "nvidia-installer.log"
file in hopes that someone can give me some clues about how to
proceed.

Thanks!

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu
Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton