installing fonts

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Thu Aug 18 23:03:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 16:24 -0300, Renato Henriques wrote:
> I found a folder under etc which had the name "fonts" although no fonts
> were inside. When I tried to dump in the true type fonts I was told by
> the system that I had not enough priveleges.
>
> How do I install fonts in Linux?
>
>  Renato Henriques
> repehe at yahoo.com
>
> aim:renatoaim
>
> msn:renato4010591 at hotmail.com

In Nautilus hit "CTRL+L" and type "fonts:".  This will show you all the
fonts you have (both, system wide and private).  To add any new fonts
all you need is to drag those fonts to that location.

If you want to add fonts so that they can be accessed by all users,
create a new directory under "/usr/local/share/fonts" and put the fonts
in it.

Example (assuming you're inside the directory which hold the True Type
fonts you want to install):
        sudo mkdir "/usr/local/share/fonts/my_tt_fonts"
        sudo cp *.ttf "/usr/local/share/fonts/my_tt_fonts"
        sudo chmod 0444 "/usr/local/share/fonts/my_tt_fonts"/*

(Just a small note: "/etc" holds the configuration and settings of the
system.  It doesn't hold actual data or applications.  It's for most
variants of Linux/BSD/Unix what the Registry is for Windows, ...only
much better.)
Ziyad.