tickling gam_server to make it let go of a file?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Aug 18 06:52:01 UTC 2005

I know this has been up on the list recently, but I can't remember
seeing any mentions on how to do this:

I use Nautilus to browse a USB disk that's mounted automatically. When I
try to unmount the disk I'm told it's in use and can't be unmounted.
Using 'lsof' I verify that it's gam_server that's holding a file open on
the device...

Now, how do I get gam_server to release the file?

I sent it a HUP, which seemed to work, but I'm not sure it's the "right
way". Since gam_server lacks a man page (another bug I suppose :-) I
don't really know where to turn to find out.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The NSA regularly lies to people who ask it for advice on export
control. They have no reason not to; accomplishing their goal by any
legal means is fine by them. Lying by government employees is legal.
      -- John Gilmore