tickling gam_server to make it let go of a file?

Michael Wardle michael at endbracket.net
Thu Aug 18 14:46:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 07:52 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> I use Nautilus to browse a USB disk that's mounted automatically. When I
> try to unmount the disk I'm told it's in use and can't be unmounted.
> Using 'lsof' I verify that it's gam_server that's holding a file open on
> the device...
>
> Now, how do I get gam_server to release the file?

Gamin is the new replacement for FAM.  You can read more about it here
<http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/>.

If I remember correctly, Nautilus will unmonitor any files on a mounted
file system when you try to eject or umount that file system from within
Nautilus.  Is it possible to "eject" your USB disk from Nautilus?

Telling Gamin to unmonitor files will be necessary if it is using the
DNotify feature of Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6.  A replacement for this
called INotify was introduced recently which should remove this problem
in general.  Until then, Nautilus will need to explicitly support
unmonitoring a file system before you can unmount it.