Looking for more Unix Linux

Andre Truter andre.truter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 19:36:15 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, Barry Young <youngbar at insightbb.com> wrote:
> I have a Unix system that I use where I work.  I would like the environments
> to be exact or as similar as possible.
>
> I need to be able to create shell scripts, possible write programs and use
> it as a learning experience.

You already have that in any Linux distro.

The major differences between Linux and UNIX is the GUI used
(CDE/KDE/Gnome/IceWM, etc), the location of some files, the location
of device drivers and some of the vendor specific tools.

The differences between different UNIXes and UNIX and Linux is the same.
You have differences between Sun Solaris and HP-UX, between AIX and
True64.  These differences are similar to the differences between Sun
Solaris and Linux.

I write may shell scripts on Linux and test it there before I deploy
it on Solaris. To make things easy I use bash on Solaris, then it is
similar to my Linux environment.

I even work on a huge database application where we had the
development server running on Linux, the test server on HP-UX and the
one production server on Solaris.

I am curently working on a C application that I am writing and testing
on Linux, but the target system runs Solaris.  When I am done, I will
jsut re-compile it on Solaris and test it there.

You just need to know what the environment differences between your
platforms are.

Most Linux distributions use the bash shell environment, while most
UNIX environments use the Korn shell or Bourne shell.  Some use the
C-shell.  But, you can use the Bourne and C-shells on Linux too.  You
also get a Korn shell for Linux (pdksh)

Due to the differences in hardware (like IDE in Linux compared to SCSI
in UNIX) your path to disks are slightly different, but it is easy to
adapt a script to that.

Other things to lookout for are different tools available.
On Linux and HP-UX you have 'top'. On Solaris they have a different
tool (can't remember the name now)

To see your disk space used:
HP-UX:  bdf
Solaris: df -k
Linux:  df -h

See, small differences.  The basics are the same.

HTH
--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.za.org