Looking for more Unix Linux

Hakim Singhji hzs202 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:18:19 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, Barry Young <youngbar at insightbb.com> wrote:
> I have a Unix system that I use where I work.  I would like the environments
> to be exact or as similar as possible.

You will probably have to customize this your self if you would like
to emulate you work environment. That is very easy... don't sweat
that. However, I suggest understanding the OS which you are working
with. It's always best to be an expert with your tools. To learn some
of the history and how things came into being I suggest reading Eric
Raymond's, _The Art of Unix Programming_. It will give you a concise
history of what is what and who is who, from a Unix Programmer's
perspective.

> I need to be able to create shell scripts, possible write programs and use
> it as a learning experience.

Here is a link that will help you translate basic commands for
different machines... just in case you want to test a few different
Unixes: http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

Hope this helps.

Best,

--