changing video card

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:59:07 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, Glenn Holmer <gholmer at ameritech.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 10:19, Gabriel wrote:
> > Glenn Holmer wrote:
> > >I replaced my video card, so now Ubuntu comes up in runlevel 2.  How
> > > do I get to the configuration program to set up the new card?
> >
> > What card have you got?
>
> I went from a Matrox G400 that died :( to an Nvidia GeForce MX 4000.
> Two questions, I guess:
>
> 1) Can that card even be set up at all without installing binary
> drivers?
>
> 2) How to call the config program from text mode (e.g. in SUSE, you can
> run the "YaST" config utility under X or either in console mode).

Should be able to do the dpkg-reconfigure command from a console.
(dpkg is console only-- though I've had mixed mileage with this
command, I just updated debian sid on an alpha I have, and the switch
to xorg totally hosed my x install there.).

then to enable the nvidia drivers, install nvidia-glx and the
restricted modules package if not already installed.  then run
nvidia-glx-config encable.  and that will configure your xorg.conf
file to use the nvidia drivers, and set up the kernel module to load
on start up.