Sharing a Folder in Ubuntu for Other computers to see

William Chapman jeddahbill at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:20:40 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, Caleb Metheny <calebme at gmail.com> wrote:
> That guide you gave me on how to set-up network users. Is that so
> another computer with winxp could basically log-in through explorer?
>
> Because when I view workgroup computers and try to access the one
> running Ubuntu it will ask me for a username and password.

I don't think it matters what os is attempting to access the samba
shares.  I seem to recall that the default setup for samba is to
require that permission (a different kind of permission from 'chmod')
be granted through the files smb.conf & smbusers for each network user
(on another host), regardless of what os their machine is running.
Yes, you may be asked for a username and password, unless they are the
same on both machines, in which case samba figures that out
automatically.  (I think this is correct.  We need a samba guru to
step in and confirm.)

At this point, I suggest a close reading of 'man smb.conf(5)'!!