Traffic Shaping/QoS Ideas or Assistance.

gschmid4 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Aug 10 03:25:18 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm a Wisp and I´ve been search same things like you for a long long
time.

Well, the fact is: a complete solution qos + gui + easy install, and
use and understanding doesnt exist yet. Non ubuntu non otherwise linux
distro.

In kernels 2.4 I use cbq (for control download traffic) + shorewall +
webmin cbq + rshaper.o for control upload traffic (ever by ip qithout
use of the marlk option).

In kernels 2.6 or above I'm trying right now with the following mix:
bridge (that means 2 eth nics bridged by bridgectl) + shorewall (for
the maclist option acting like a RADIUS by ip & mac pair) + cbq.init +
webcbq (try search it in sourceforge) for the gui. The nat is made by,
at the moment, over other linux box.

The most problematic question in the qos control, is the control of the
upload traffic over several wlan's ip (internals ip) in a linux box
acting as router (nated). With the 2 above solutions I have found the
most closely to a "holy grial", as you named... but, I still search the
"deb" or "rpm" package that can do all of this wishes with only 1 mouse
click.

--
gschmid4