Hoary: Copy/Paste Not Working in Evolution

Alan Swartz kde at swartzes.com
Mon Aug 8 15:09:56 UTC 2005

tombeharrell wrote:
> I'm having clipboard copy/paste issues a lot with Linux, it just
> doesn't seem to work right. It's the same in all distros I've used and
> it's worst in Evolution, but does happen in several other programs.
>
> Firstly it seems that copying something to the clipboard only holds it
> on the clipboard while that text is still selected in the application.
> This really annoys me because I often go into a file, find something
> and copy it, then close the file again ready to paste it into something
> else. If I do this though and don't leave the file I'm copying from
> open, the clipboard is empty and there's nothing to paste!  ](*,)
>
> In Evolution, the Copy option from the context menu definitely doesn't
> work for me. There is never anything to paste even within Evolution.
> Control+C usually works though sometimes only on the second attempt (or
> maybe sometimes I lose the selection of the text I'm copying.)
>
> Is this a Gnome issue? Though I'm almost sure it's the same in KDE
> using Kwrite etc.

Tom, I run klipper on my taskbar. While it is a kde app it docks on the
Gnome toolbar as well.

After you install klipper...
sudo apt-get install klipper
On the Gnome/Ubuntu menu go to System > Preferences > Sessions
and click on the Startup Programs tab
I added klipper here...
Startup Command: klipper
Order: 80

When you click on the klipper icon it keeps a list of items in the
clipboard which you can select. You can configure klipper to store the
number of entries in the history that you want.

Great application. Hope it works for you.