terminal prompt (name change)

Albin Blaschka albin.blaschka at sbg.ac.at
Mon Aug 8 11:50:10 UTC 2005

René L. Reingard schrieb:

> hello,
> yesterday, i reinstalled Hoary, as i messed up the system for some
> reason.  nothing bad so far, good exercise, and i anyway wanted to have
> changed  some stuff.
> the only unwanted thing is, that in the Terminal i do have a strange
> name  for the machine, the prompt looks like: user at y2-4-01-32-44-23-t5-78:$
> i do remember, when the internet connection was set up automaticaly by
> the  installation process, ubuntu put this name of the machine into.
> should i  have changed the name at that time? how can i do it now? looks
> to me to  strange for a simple prompt. isn't it?
> thanks for advice,
> René

Hello,

just edit the file /etc/hostname:

* open terminal
* type: sudo su
* <prompt for password> => Attention: You are now ROOT!
* type: nano /etc/hostname (open editor nano with specified file)
* fill in your desired hostname
* Press Ctrl-o followed by Ctrl-x (save and leave editor)
* Press Ctrl-d (leave superuser mode)
* Press Ctrl-d (close terminal)

And yes, here I think you have to reboot to make the changes take
effect... ;-()

best wishes, Albin