terminal prompt (name change)

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Mon Aug 8 13:06:31 UTC 2005

Albin Blaschka <albin.blaschka at sbg.ac.at> writes:

> * type: sudo su
> * <prompt for password> => Attention: You are now ROOT!
> * type: nano /etc/hostname (open editor nano with specified file)

Any reason for not combining these three to:

 * type: sudo nano /etc/hostname
 * <prompt for password>

and thereby not being root afterwards?

> And yes, here I think you have to reboot to make the changes take
> effect... ;-()

If you use the Gnome stuff to change the host name:

* Choose menu item System -> Administration -> Network
* <prompt for password>
* Choose the tab named General
* Change host name to your liking
* Press OK

... you will get a warning telling you that you have to log in again
to start new applications.  Ie no need to reboot, which is very
un-unixy.

        Affi