Evolution

R S Gill rsgill at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 5 17:14:48 UTC 2005

Hi Marc,

Let me clarify.

I get my e-mail off of an IMAP server. To access e-mail, I can either
use an e-mail client or a web interface provided by the university.

In Thunderbird, I have the spam filter setup up in such a way that if I
mark mail as spam, Thunderbird will analyze the mail and then move it to
a folder called Spam that I created in my e-mail account.

I have Thunderbird setup in this manner to avoid having to wade through
spam when I have to access my mail from the web interface.

With Evolution, mail marked as spam is moved to a virtual folder called
Junk. Unless I can make Evolution move the spam to a real folder, I will
continue to see all the spam that Evolution caught in my Inbox.

In Thunderbird the whole operation is very seamless. I just select the
mail I deem to be spam and click on the Spam button and the spam is
cleared from my Inbox. Any spam that Thunderbird catches through its
trained spam filter is automatically moved to my Spam folder without any
intervention on my part.

In addition, I am also noticing that Evolution moves mail that I delete
to a virtual folder called Trash. Again I would like a way to move
deleted mail to a real folder. When I delete mail using Evolution, the
deleted mail persists in my Inbox. This makes it tedious to get to my
unread/important mail when I access my e-mail account via the web
interface. The only way around this is to expunge my deleted mail using
Evolution. While this may work for some, I personally like having access
to my deleted mail for at least a few days after I have deleted it.

Another thing that I would like to know how to do with Evolution is to
make my IMAP account the default. I'm noticing that each time time I
start Evolution, the unconfigured Local Folders account is expanded
instead of my configured IMAP account.

Gill