iPod/mp3 questions for a Windows migration

Ben Novack bennovack at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 12:24:38 UTC 2005

On Sunday I'll be setting up a friend of mine who's gotten sick of
Windows with a Hoary system. A key part of this is replacing iTunes.

Obviously Rythmbox works for basic library playback.

Is there a solution to the problem with iPod Minis with the newest
firmware? I'm under the impression that gtkpod can't read more than
256 songs on minis with the 3.1 firmware, and that this isn't fixed
until gtkpod .94, while Hoary only has .88.

How can I get Sound Juicer to rip MP3s? I've got mp3 and aac
*playback* working fine all over my system (via hoary-extras), but I
can't seem to get ripping to happen.

Will she need to manually import into rhythmbox every album she rips
with Sound Juicer to play it, and then manually import it into gtkpod
to sync it with the iPod, or is there a way to get things to happen
automagically?

Thanks,

---Ben