Firewall

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 4 15:52:27 UTC 2005

MrKnisely wrote:

> No matter how good your firewall is on your OS, it'll never be as good
> as a seperate firewall device.  Firewalls are meant to segregate a
> trusted network from an untrusted network.  A device that does not have
> the ability to be compromised and used as an attack point is much better
> than any interactive OS based firewall.

I can't see how this is even relevant.  If your separate firewall device
doesn't have a config tool that makes it somewhat easier to use than
iptables, it's about as useful as no firewall at all.  If I can't maintain
my firewall from my KDE desktop, I'm not interested in it, no matter
whether it's on my desktop or a separate firewall device.
--
derek