Firewall

dataw0lf digitalsuicide at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 16:26:21 UTC 2005

Derek Broughton wrote:

> I can't see how this is even relevant.  If your separate firewall device
> doesn't have a config tool that makes it somewhat easier to use than
> iptables, it's about as useful as no firewall at all.  If I can't maintain
> my firewall from my KDE desktop, I'm not interested in it, no matter
> whether it's on my desktop or a separate firewall device.

You're right, it's not relevant. I think it was just a general point
that a firewall based on a full featured operating system such as Linux
is generally more insecure than, say, a Cisco PIX.

Of course, with the problems with IOS .... ;)

Personally, I think anything is better than no firewall at all, which is
the point _he_ missed.  And if you know how to harden it, a Linux based
firewall can actually be very effective. iptables is an EXTREMELY
powerful tool.

--

Joshua Simpson -- dataw0lf.org
Lead Network Administrator/Engineer Aero-Graphics Inc.
jsimpson at aero-graphics.com