Missed evangelism opportunities was Re: Not Happy with ShipIt

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Wed Aug 3 20:47:31 UTC 2005

Frank Hale wrote:
>>I think the ShipIt system needs to be improved where the people who have
>>ordered prior to the date of the unstable Ubuntu becoming stable receive
>>their orders promptly.
>

> I disagree. We are talking about a very nice free gift with no
> obligation on your part other than to fill in your address and how
> many cd's you want. To demand prompt service is a slap in the face. If
> they put in place a method to purchase the cd's then I'd almost
> certainly expect some type of prompt service. I don't think we can
> demand prompt service from a totally free method of receiving Ubuntu
> cd's. It just makes no valid sense. We should be happy that we can
> receive as many *free* cd's as we like, whether that takes 2 or 3
> months to receive is beside the point, It's totally free of charge!

Hello Frank,

You've totally missed every point. I don't believe for a moment that
Canonical is giving away the CDs merely so we don't have to pay for
them. There is a purpose and a goal for giving the CDs away. It is to
gain mindshare and market position. It is to the benefit of Canonical
and Ubuntu. Yes, yes, yes, it is nice and is a blessing. However, as
stated elsewhere many of us don't want the CDs for ourselves. We want to
support and evangelize Ubuntu to the people who have heard of Linux but
haven't made any attempts to try it.

I have a RH 5 CD somewhere want it?  (joking :)
How about a Win 3.1 or 95?

People like to be current. Getting CDs ordered 2 months before Hoary and
received 3 months after isn't the best business practice. And like I
said it isn't IMHO purely philanthropic.

Now, think about this. Is it any more cost effective (ie: cheaper) to
produce and shipit CDs late?  No!  There is no, I repeat no, business or
philanthropic benefit. In fact it is quite contrarily a detriment. It
reduces the life value of the CDs.

If the CDs were released promptly they would easily have a good 4-6
month life value. Them being shipped late cuts a few months off of that.
Their greatest value is closest to the release of the stable Ubuntu and
decrease over time to the release of the next stable Ubuntu.

You have a Hoary CD and a Warty CD. Which one do you install?
The current one.

Give us a break. No one hear is begrudging the free gift. We all
apreciate it. If you will note in my original message I thanked greatly
all involved with Ubuntu. I am and most are very grateful.

However, we are here because we want Ubuntu and
I write this from my HP notebook which I bought in one of those PC
stores and wiped windows off of. Those users do exist. Canonical to
succeed. We want them to do well. A timely ShipIt is in everyones best
interest.

JH

PS,  Yes I realize that philanthropy is part of Mark's ideals. For which
we are all grateful and blessed. But ShipIt is available to all
regardless of need. And for that I too am grateful. While I can afford
to buy the CDs. Not all can. I would happier to contribute to helping to
support the free ShipIt. That way all of us who can support and
contribute and are willing do so, and others who can't still benefit and
receive.