Missed evangelism opportunities was Re: Not Happy with ShipIt

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Wed Aug 3 02:44:47 UTC 2005

I haven't received my shipit either.

I personally download the ISOs and burn cds for personal installs.

I think the ShipIt system needs to be improved where the people who have
ordered prior to the date of the unstable Ubuntu becoming stable receive
their orders promptly.

For me and many others it affects our ability to evangelize and promote
Ubuntu. As it currently stands and my receipt of the Hoary ShipIts were
similar but maybe not quite as late, we are almost as close to the next
Ubuntu as we are/were the current Ubuntu release. Kindof diminishes the
value. I too hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I think that
ShipIt is probably not achieving the goals it seeks, should or could
because of the delays.

I just bought my HP zv6131us notebook at Best Buy (US).
While I was talking to the guys at the Geek squad who were checking it
out to make sure everything worked before I took it home, I told them
that the first thing I was going to do when I got it home was wipe
Windows XP Pro off the thing and install Ubuntu. They didn't know about
Ubuntu. So we talked awhile. Nice thing in this was the guy doing the
tests when he heard I was wiping the drive, answered a few of the
Windows questions so when I booted at home it never asked me anything. I
  popped in the cd to find the right one. I'm a bad boy, too many
unlabeled cds. :)

Anyway to the point. It would be great to have at these places who sell
PCs a stack of Ubuntu CDs. They have stacks of AOL and others. This
would be a great opportunity for Ubuntu to make inroads. But it needs to
be the current Ubuntu CD, not the cd for the previous Ubuntu 3 months
past the current release date.

Well enough ranting.

In closing I want to thank all the developers and people involved in
bringing us this awesome distro. Thanks Mark for sharing our desire for
a great distro like this and having the wherewithal to do something
about it. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Later.

Jimmie