Not Happy with ShipIt

Al Gordon runlevel7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:16:45 UTC 2005

On 8/1/05, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Surely they DO expect something in return ! They expect you to not let
> the CD's rot in a drawer unused, but rather give them away to people and
> do your best to spread the word of Ubuntu to increase its popularity...
> I think it's called marketing/promotion ;o)
> Still, I would rather pay for shipping, or at least participate, but get
> them within a reasonably short and predictable time frame.
> Hell, I would even pay 80 Euros, if Canonical could sort out a nice
> boxed version, with good quality printed materials inside (beginners
> guide, and a comprehensive reference book), like Mandrake does (only
> other distro I know.. before I switched to Ubuntu of course ;o) and
> probably Suse (I assume, but never bought it).

SuSE, ugh.  I have been boing round and round in circles with SuSE and
Novell over the last few days, trying to set up GroupWise for a
customer.  I'll take unofficial support on these forums any day over
Novell's official support.  At least here, people know their product.

If Canonical really wants to set up something cool for those who are
serious about promoting Ubuntu, maybe they can put together a package
designed to support installfests and other promotional activities, as
opposed to "just" shipping free CDs.  Something that includes,
perhaps, some pre-set number of official CDs/DVDs, posters and other
swag (t-shirts, coffee cups, etc.).  Basically, "Ubuntu Installfest in
a Box".  They could provide it for free to qualified people/groups
(LUGs, etc.), or charge some kind of fee for it.  Shipping CDs to
individuals is nice, but empowering enthusiastic groups who want to
see Ubuntu thrive with tools to help that happen would be even better.

This is, of course, my opinion.  Others may, and hopefully do, vary.
It'd be a boring world if we all thought exactly the same things.

--

  -- AL --