LimeWire hangs my Ubunutu

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Mon Aug 1 21:36:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 23:44 +0300, Osama I. Dosary wrote:
> I did as you said, and installed the newer version from the site (4.9),
> and I ran it. In less than 3 minutes, my machine became very slugish,
> and LimeWire was close to a freeze (and IO-wait from 'top' was above 90%)
>
> So there is something different between our machines that is causing
> this problem. But what is it?
>
> -Osama

I really don't know!  Here's my configurations:
      * Ubuntu Hoary (with latest updates)
      * 1GiB RAM, AMD Sempron 2200+, NVIDIA GeForce 5700 with NVIDIA's
        binary drivers 1280x1024 at 60Hz 32bit colors, "linux-image-k7"
        kernel
      * Sun Java 1.5.1 (update 03)  (I used the instructions hereĀ¹ to
        create this package myself.  Follow the instructions on how to
        build the package yourself, not the one about adding new
        repositories to your "/etc/apt/sources.list".)
      * LimeWire version 4.9.X from <http://www.limewire.com> (at the
        time, it was "Beta" and yet to be released as "Stable".)

Try creating the Java package yourself.  If you don't want to, or failed
to, just ask me and I'll send to you (about 63MiB in size).

Osama, one last thing:  I noticed you're using a virtual IP (10.0.0.47).
This might have to do with your problem.  (Check port forwarding, DNS,
and your system's revers-lookup address as this have a heavy influence
on how LimeWire acts.)
Ziyad.

Links:
     1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Java15