Distrowatch down for several days?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Sat Apr 30 15:37:18 UTC 2005

la, 2005-04-30 kello 14:56 +0100, Tony Arnold kirjoitti:
> Ari,
>
> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 14:53 +0300, Ari Torhamo wrote:
>
> > This is starting to feel unreal. I would understand if I had problems
> > with a few sites and if someone else had this problem too. Or if I would
> > get some kind of error message that would reveal a problem with my
> > browser settings or a missing plugin, or something. But this is just one
> > single web page which doesn't even try to load. There's just this
> > "Connecting to www.distrowatch.com..." (and ofcourse finally "The
> > operation timed out when attempting to contact www.distrowatch.com "):-/
>
> Just some ideas to think about. You haven't by chance added this name to
> your /etc/hosts files in the past and the address is no longer correct?

This is the content of my /etc/hosts. I haven't added anything there
myself. I couldn't tell if there was anything wrong :-)

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	ATOMI

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

> Or do you have any local dns entry caching that could be confusing
> things?

I couldn't find a place to check this out. Could you tell where this can
be done.

> Do you go through a proxy server to reach he internet? Can you bypass
> it.

As far as I can tell I don't use a proxy server. At least there isn't
one set in Firefox settings.

> Can you get to the site if you specify the IP address (66.180.174.3)
> explicitly?

Vince already suggested trying 66.180.174.35 (there's a "5" at the end),
but neither of these IP addresses work.

> Just the areas I would start looking at. They may or may not help much!
>
> Regards,
> Tony.

Thanks Tony :-)