Distrowatch down for several days?

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Apr 30 13:56:20 UTC 2005

Ari,

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 14:53 +0300, Ari Torhamo wrote:

> This is starting to feel unreal. I would understand if I had problems
> with a few sites and if someone else had this problem too. Or if I would
> get some kind of error message that would reveal a problem with my
> browser settings or a missing plugin, or something. But this is just one
> single web page which doesn't even try to load. There's just this
> "Connecting to www.distrowatch.com..." (and ofcourse finally "The
> operation timed out when attempting to contact www.distrowatch.com "):-/

Just some ideas to think about. You haven't by chance added this name to
your /etc/hosts files in the past and the address is no longer correct?

Or do you have any local dns entry caching that could be confusing
things?

Do you go through a proxy server to reach he internet? Can you bypass
it.

Can you get to the site if you specify the IP address (66.180.174.3)
explicitly?

Just the areas I would start looking at. They may or may not help much!

Regards,
Tony.
Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold