Win progs fall over Was: Re: Performance shock (BS)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 24 14:54:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 09:18 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
>
> > > OTOH, windows programs sometimes snap right open <loads loaded in
> > > the background earlier) then fall over.  Most problematic.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean here, my English vocabulary is not rich
> enough
> > yet... :-/  It does sound like it's being a bit negative about
> Windoze
> > though ;o)
>
> I am hardly an expert since my last hands-on experience with a Winduhs
> machine was Win95, but back then MS programs particularly, but many
> which were not MS, would (lock up, crash, fall over <pick one, all
> mean the same>) without any apparent reason.

<Slightly rude snip here - sorry Cybe ;-) >

It's worth remembering that XP was released a few years ago, so it
*should* run fast on recent hardware. After all, to reference Vince's
experience with a 200mmx, I have a similar machine on which Win98 used
to run quite fast... For about an hour, until it locked up solid or
crashed totally...

That machine (upgraded to 64MB RAM!),now runs Debian Woody and Fluxbox,
with Abiword as a word processor and Dillo as the most used browser, as
well as the SCitE editor (not sure where the capitals go in that
name ... ). It *will* run Mozilla, but starting Moz up is a bit of a
pain. The file manager is EmelFM, which also runs nice and fast. "Horses
for courses" I believe is the expression. I've never seen Woody crash or
lock up, by the way. Yes, it's *old* and out of date, but boy is it
reliable!

I can also run Ubuntu GNOME on it via ssh -X: which works fine since it
is acting as a thin client in that situation, on my modest 3 machine
network.

The secret to running Linux fast, in my experience, is using lightweight
apps. I agree, though, that Open Office needs a serious injection of
some stimulant substance!

Peter