Win progs fall over Was: Re: Performance shock (BS)

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Apr 24 14:55:09 UTC 2005

> Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
>
> > > OTOH, windows programs sometimes snap right open <loads loaded in
> > > the background earlier) then fall over.  Most problematic.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean here, my English vocabulary is not rich enough
> > yet... :-/  It does sound like it's being a bit negative about Windoze
> > though ;o)
>
> I am hardly an expert since my last hands-on experience with a Winduhs
> machine was Win95, but back then MS programs particularly, but many
> which were not MS, would (lock up, crash, fall over <pick one, all
> mean the same>) without any apparent reason.

Ah well, but we discussing the particular point of responsiveness, not
stability ! ;o) I have not used Windows for 12 months now (this is my
first year using Linux only, quite a milestone ! :o), but I seem to
recall that yes, it used to crash "every now and then" ;o)
But to be fair, Linux certainly crashed even more often, Gnome applets,
Nautilus, Evolution, immature programs, Nvidia drivers, what have you,
but somehow, no matter how many times Linux crashes, I am still very
happy with it, whereas just looking at the Windows desktop makes me
sick, so as soon as it crashes, even just once a month...  it (used to)
drives me mad.
Linux/Ubuntu/Gnome, regardless of some little annoyances that I don't
doubt will be ironed out over the next few years, have put fun and
pleasure into computing. Quite an achievement I say !

> You are not a native English speaker?
> <checks headers>

Nope, I am just a continental Frog...

> Vince, I'd never have known that had you not said so.

Okay, I cheated a bit, I will confess that... I lived for 3 years in
England (BEng studies at Uni, Hatfield/Herts)...  but that was a few
years ago, so it's all starting to gather dust now, reading this list
helps me maintain it, I even learn some African on here :
"Ubuntu" !! ;o)

> I surely can't speak French!

Can't blame you, who needs French these days. Plus, even here, many
kids/teenagers can't even put a sentence together anymore, quite
worrying. If you want to hear proper French, oddly enough, best place to
go is across the pond...America: Canada/Quebec, as they seem to care a
lot more about the French language than we do ourselves ! Shame on
us... :-/

--
Vince