Verizon DSL and Ubuntu?

Kenton Brede kbrede at nixnotes.org
Thu Apr 21 13:48:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 09:12:16AM -0400, David Teague (teague at jackson.main.nc.us) wrote:

> I just received my DSL package from Verizon.
> My DSL activation date is May 9.
>
> Whee!
>
> Verizon says Linux is not "supported." I understand
> that only means they won't help me with Linux of
> any flavor. However, I have been advised that Linux
> drivers exist for most DSL gateway/router boxes.
<snip>

Maybe I've been missing something but I've never needed drivers for any
DSL router or Cable modem.  What I usually do is set up an old box to
act as a firewall.  Configure the external interface of the firewall with
the IP, gateway, netmask provided by the ISP, if static.  Or set up the
external interface with DHCP, if the IP is dynamically assigned.  Then NAT
all the traffic between the external interface and the internal interface
on the firewall.  A switch is plugged into the internal interface and then
run the rest of the computers off that.  The external interface is plugged
into the router or modem.

If you have one computer then you should be able to configure the
interface on that computer to obtain the IP address, either dynamic
or static as the case may be.  I would set up a firewall on the stand
alone machine.

Have fun with your broadband :)
Kent

--
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.