Oh Boy....

Christoph Wegscheider wegi at despammed.com
Wed Apr 13 09:34:11 UTC 2005

Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:24:11AM +0200, Christoph Wegscheider wrote:
> I would argue that there are very few such applications.  The only firm
> requirement for adding a new package to the multiverse repository is that it
> be able to be redistributed as part of Ubuntu.
>
>> So I think there are and will be third party debs.
>
> I don't think that third party debs will go away, but we hope to minimize
> fragmentation by incorporating them into Ubuntu wherever feasible.

That's the ubuntu point of view. From a debian point of view one might
be concerned if those packages are also binary compatible with debian.

As ubuntu claims to be based on a regular sid snapshot, it should also
have an eye on that IMHO. Contributing back to debian is a declared
goal of ubuntu, creating  a common base (which might involve
compromises on both sides) seems to help both sides.

	Christoph