Any "Compellng" reason to upgrade?

smarttaz ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Apr 11 09:12:39 UTC 2005

Jim Cheetham Wrote:
> You do appreciate, of course, that packages in Universe are NOT
> specifically configured to run with Ubuntu? Only packages from main are
> intended to be "100% correct". Everything else is provided as a
> convenience, basically. They worked in Debian, and they compile in
> Ubuntu - but subtle things may well be wrong.

Dear Jim,
What's the point of a Linux distro which does not target in any way the
running of a Web server? And for many people, it's not just Apache, but
also PHP _and_ MySQL too!!

I tried in a thread to expose my {partial} fixes (those which worked)
related to PHP with Apache. I could not get to the solution to all of
them and I am running *terribly* out of spare time, so I could not make
more for now. (At home I'm also out of bandwidth, as I am on dialup!)

However, making Apache2+PHP4+MySQL work on a Linux distro should be
accomplished quickly enough. Ubuntu Hoary is a very polished distro
(unlike others, like Slackware, for instance), so it's such a pity that
the very next step beyond a 'home&&office distro' is sometimes that
harsh...

Cheers,
Radu

--