New install comments

Benjamin Edwards bedwards at rnli.org.uk
Wed Sep 29 12:59:43 UTC 2004

mixing Ubuntu sources with others is not recomended. There is a source refered to as universe that is commented out in .sources and it has many unsuported sources.  However, I think it may not even be there, Its fairly easy to download and install from the java site (I have done it sucsesfully using docs from the java site.

>>> Bo Rosén <brosen at bredband.net> 09/29/04 12:23pm >>>
I have used various distributions over a period of some six or seven
years but never a debian-based system before. I'm just an average user,
I know nothing of programming and little more than what I have to about
keeping my system reasonably up-to-date.

I use Gentoo currently, and while this is a great distro I've been
looking for a nice desktop Gnome distro. So, after hearing about Ubuntu,
I had to see it.

Install went without a problem, as far as I have been able to see after
a few hours everything works fine. I'm still a bit uncertain how to use
apt-get to full avantage, but time should fix that.

I tried installing sun-j2re1.4 from the great instructions on
http://serios.net/content/debian/java.php
but I can't get 'sudo apt-get install sun-j2rel.4debian' to work. As far
as I can tell there's something wrong with fetching the list of packages
from ftp.se.debian.org

Sorry, this is in Swedish ;-) Essentially, it seems the lists of
packages can't be found, I'm probably doing something wrong. I tried
ftp.de.debian.org as well as suggested in a mail on this list.

Misslyckades att hämta
http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/dists/debian/testing/binary-
i386/Packages.gz  404 Not Found [IP: 130.239.18.165 80]
Misslyckades att hämta http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/dists/debian/non-
free/binary-i386/Packages.gz  404 Not Found [IP: 130.239.18.165 80]
Läser paketlistor... Färdig
W: Kunde inte ta status på källkodspaketlistan http://ftp.se.debian.org
debian/testing Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_debian_testing_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 Filen eller katalogen finns inte)
W: Kunde inte ta status på källkodspaketlistan http://ftp.se.debian.org
debian/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_debian_non-
free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 Filen eller katalogen finns inte)

I want mplayer as well as that is the only package I've ever managed to
get tv-out working with (I have a GeForce 4 MX400), and I need all those
proprietary codecs too.

Sun's java and mplayer are show-stoppers for me, I have subscribed to
this list to keep an eye on things. If packages like these can be
installed in an easy way, I'd love to switch over to Ubuntu as I've been
very impressed so far.

Keep up the good work

Bo