Install failure (internet)

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Wed Sep 29 11:51:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Warthog on an old 266mhz laptop. I've
tried both the Preview release and yesterdays cd, but run into the same
problem - namely everything freezes when I try to get onto the net.

First off all, during the second stage of the install, on trying to
download update soff the net I get the following error message:

Testing apt sources...
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com warty/main Packages
   Could not connect to archive.ubuntu.com:80 (82.211.81.138). - connect
(113 No route to host)
0% [Connecting to archive.ubuntu.com (82.211.81.138)]

and then everything freezes.

If I skip this download stage, then boot up (everything seems fine -
checked dmesg etc) and open Firefox (set to go to the ubuntu homepage),
after about thirty seconds, the entire system freezes. Pinging
google.com (via a terminal and virtual console (ie without an x
display) also freezes everything.

I connect via a router, broadband, yenta socket - everything is working
fine for my other computers, including another ubuntu-installed laptop.

Done a quick scan of bugzilla, but couldn't find anything resembling
this.

What now?

TIA

John