Compliling Xine

Greg Merryman radagar_linux at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 02:31:43 UTC 2004

Hello all,

First of all, great distro!!! This is one of the most responsive distros
I have ever installed. I have always liked Gnome and am glad to be back
on that desktop.

Now for my question. I am trying to compile Xine (and then gxine for the
frontend) so that I can stream a feed from an mms server (talk radio).
When I run ./configure, I receive an error 'configure: error: zlib
needed' and then configure exits.

When I look at the isntalled packages, I see a 'zlib1g' is installed. Is
this the same as zlib, but configured for ubuntu? If so, how do I
reconcile the configure error in order to get xine compiled?

On a side note, I don't mind using xine with the gxine frontend, but if
anyone knows or prefers another program that can stream a windows media
player content, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Greg.