Kernel Sources

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sat Sep 25 21:40:33 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 03:07:25PM -0400, Danuvius wrote:

> Does Ubuntu have full kernel-sources available on the installation CD?

No (due to limited storage capacity).

> My friend has a winmodem, which actually has linux drivers available for
> it that are quite simple to install... usually.
>
> Unfortunately, the driver has to do some autoconfiguration after it is
> installed; and it seems to require the running kernel's source to be
> installed.  From what I could tell, Ubuntu's installation CD only has
> kernel headers but not kernel sources.

Try using the headers; they should be sufficient for anything that a
reasonable driver needs to do.  Generally when a driver says that it
requires the kernel source, the headers are what it needs.

> Not being able to go online, I could not use apt-get to download from
> the online repository.  (where I am certain--though do not know for a
> fact--a kernel sources package could be found)  My only other option
> is to download the .deb package from another internet connection.
> Unfortunately, I could not orient myself on the ubuntu ftp to find
> where the actual .deb files are located.

If you really need the kernel source (and this could be considered a bug in
the driver in many cases), you can download the .deb here:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.8.1/linux-source-2.6.8.1_2.6.8.1-6_all.deb

--
 - mdz