How do you automatically mount a Samba share?

Shawn Milo ShawnMilo at runbox.com
Thu Sep 23 13:51:46 UTC 2004

> On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 08:34 -0400, Shawn Milo wrote:
> > I am not trying to be deliberately dense. I've written scripts to start at log-on,
> > and I've used LinNeighborhood. I've done these things in Slackware, because
> > that is a non-user-friendly environment, and I knew that going in. I wouldn't
> > suggest Slackware to a non-geek. But these methods are just not good enough
> > for the ordinary desktop computer user. If Ubuntu does not handle this in a
> > simple way, it should.
> >
> > Jeff: Is this what you were referring to when you wrote this in response to
> > an earlier post?
>
> No, I was referring to gnome-vfs support in OOo, so that you don't have
> to mount CIFS shares on the filesystem at all. Hopefully, mounting CIFS
> shares will be the kind of thing a sysadmin does because it's required
> for a particular environment -> in the usual case, gnome-vfs access
> should be available.
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
> Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!

Jeff,

Okay, but what about my question? Normal users should be able to mount network
shares to directories under their home directory. Do you have a plan to add
this feature? Something comparable to "Mount Network Share" in Xanrdos File
Manager or "Map Network Drive" in Microsoft Windows Explorer.

This is a basic feature, without which a desktop operating system is unusable
in many home and most business environments. Even for those who do not have
file servers may need to mount a share from a friend every now and then.

Thanks,
Shawn