How do you automatically mount a Samba share?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Thu Sep 23 14:16:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 09:51 -0400, Shawn Milo wrote:
> Okay, but what about my question? Normal users should be able to mount network
> shares to directories under their home directory. Do you have a plan to add
> this feature? Something comparable to "Mount Network Share" in Xanrdos File
> Manager or "Map Network Drive" in Microsoft Windows Explorer.
>
> This is a basic feature, without which a desktop operating system is unusable
> in many home and most business environments. Even for those who do not have
> file servers may need to mount a share from a friend every now and then.

Let's make sure we have the use case right: It's not "mounting" that the
user wants to do, it's "getting access to my Samba or Windows server".
Do you agree? My Mum doesn't know what mounting means, but she uses a
Samba server all the time. :-)

In GNOME, this is achieved with the gnome-vfs filesystem access layer,
and does not require root privileges (mounting a filesystem does, even
if it's done via sudo or suid binaries).

gnome-vfs support for OpenOffice.org is in development, and I have the
impression that it will be available in time for our next release, which
means that access to CIFS servers will be totally transparent to the
user. Hooray! :-)

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!