How do you automatically mount a Samba share?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Thu Sep 23 13:23:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 08:34 -0400, Shawn Milo wrote:
> I am not trying to be deliberately dense. I've written scripts to start at log-on,
> and I've used LinNeighborhood. I've done these things in Slackware, because
> that is a non-user-friendly environment, and I knew that going in. I wouldn't
> suggest Slackware to a non-geek. But these methods are just not good enough
> for the ordinary desktop computer user. If Ubuntu does not handle this in a
> simple way, it should.
>
> Jeff: Is this what you were referring to when you wrote this in response to
> an earlier post?

No, I was referring to gnome-vfs support in OOo, so that you don't have
to mount CIFS shares on the filesystem at all. Hopefully, mounting CIFS
shares will be the kind of thing a sysadmin does because it's required
for a particular environment -> in the usual case, gnome-vfs access
should be available.

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!