Hal not running properly

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Sun Sep 19 10:40:06 UTC 2004

Hi Søren!

Can we please continue to discuss this on ubuntu-users? This way other
people can benefit from it, too. Thanks!

Am 2004-09-17 15:27 +0200 schrieb Søren Hauberg:
> > Can you please verify that hald indeed not runs by opening a shell and
> > typing
> >
> >   ps aux | grep hald
> [...]
> I get:
> sh at 0x50a5b3fd ~ $ ps aux | grep hald
> hal       3505  0.0  0.3  3832 2352 ?        Ds   14:50
> 0:00 /usr/sbin/hald --drop-privileges
> sh        5173  0.0  0.0  1852  564 pts/0    R+   15:23   0:00 grep hald
>
> So it seems hal is running?

Oops, I did not see the status flag "Ds" at first look. This indicates
that hald has crashed and hangs in an I/O operation. This explains why
its not responding for removable devices and the Device Manager.

We already had such cases in the past, when hald just crashed with
a particular piece of hardware. I would really be interested in the
cause of it.

So before I propose to start the debugger, can you please open a
shell, and do the following:

  sudo killall hald # kill the hal daemon which has crashed anyway

  sudo hald --drop-privileges --daemon=no 2>&1 | tee /tmp/hal.log
  # start hald without detaching from the terminal

The second command writes hal's debugging output both to the terminal
and to /tmp/hal.log. Then please look at a second console if  hald has
already crashed (ps aux|grep hald), quit hald by pressing Control-C,
and mail me /tmp/hal.log.

I hope that I can find something from this log. If not, we have to do
some more intrusive things :-/

Thanks very much for your cooperation!

Martin

--