iMac network hardware

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sun Sep 19 16:30:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:22:11PM -0400, Rob Diehl wrote:
> It would be nice if some very brief, elementary instructions for
> troubleshooting and configuring network devices were written up on the
> Ubuntu website.

We will have an installation manual, which will help with this kind of
thing.

> Where do you put modprobe lines to automatically run at boot
> How do you use ifconfig to configure a network adapter for typical use
> (face it, man pages are not user friendly)
> What else needs to be done to get on the Internet? route add? DNS? I'm
> having a hell of a time over here.

The key to avoiding most of these problems is to get the network card
working while the installer is running, which will mean that you can use
the installer's network configuration tool to do all this for you.
Certainly any instance of a user having to do the first of these tasks
is a bug that we'd like to fix.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]