iMac network hardware

Rob Diehl diehlr at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 19 16:22:11 UTC 2004

It would be nice if some very brief, elementary instructions for
troubleshooting and configuring network devices were written up on the
Ubuntu website. I think there are going to be a lot of relatively
inexperienced users interested in trying out Ubuntu on machines such as
the old iMac. Simple things, such as:

Where do you put modprobe lines to automatically run at boot
How do you use ifconfig to configure a network adapter for typical use
(face it, man pages are not user friendly)
What else needs to be done to get on the Internet? route add? DNS? I'm
having a hell of a time over here.

I realize these are all things most Linux experts know how to do, but a
page-long blurb for newcomers would be welcome. Having to google for
every last thing is not fun, especially the mess of unrelated info that
you have to sift through.