the view from here

billg billg at f-m.fm
Sat Sep 18 19:49:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:28:39 +0100, "david" <nux at blueyonder.co.uk> said:
> Greetings,
>

> Only 1 problem thus far and that's getting the nvidia driver to work.
> I ran module-assistant auto-install nvidia as root and got a successful
> build but when I edit "nv" to "nvidia" in XF86Config-4 I get X crashes
> and can only get back into x with "nv".
> Other than that...

Is "nvidia" in /etc/modules?

Also, I installed the nvidia driver without module-assistant. Just
install linux-restricted-modules and the nvidia packages and you should
be fine. (Doing a search, with aptitude or synaptic, ought to show 4
nvidia packages, including some source. I'm away from that machine, so I
can't be specific.)