Synaptic is hanging

billg billg at f-m.fm
Fri Sep 17 15:05:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:13:08 +0200, "Søren Hauberg"
<soren at hauberg.org> said:
>....I fire up Synaptic and mark Epiphany for installation. Synaptic
>then starts to download the needed files but hangs after a while. End
>result is that nothing gets installed.

What messages did Synaptic post? If you saw something like "0% Waiting
for headers..." sit on screen for several minutes, it is almost
certainly because you're stacked up in the queue at the Ubuntu servers.
Be patient, or try later, when you think all the other Ubuntu users are
sleeping. :-)

If Synaptic posted no messages, or crashed, that's a different story, of
course. I've seen it appear to crash here:  If I enter a typoed
password into the prompt box box, I see this less than intuitive error
message: "failed to run /usr/bin/synaptic as root: Child terminated with
1 status" The message ought to tell you your password was wrong and loop
back to the prompt box.

billg